Sunday, June 12, 2016

Buckwheat Pancakes with Cherry Vanilla Compote

I wanted to make pancakes this morning and I discovered, to my horror, that I had no plain flour left in my store cupboard. I usually have all the basic baking ingredients around so that I can spontaneously decide to bake something without having to run to a store first. At least, I found some buckwheat flour which actually worked just as well for these pancakes. I liked them best when they were soaked with the juices from the cherry compote.




Recipe
(from Trish Deseine's unbeatable "I love Cake")

225g flour (I used buckwheat flour)
1 sachet baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
3 eggs, beaten
300ml milk
50g butter, melted (the recipe suggest salted butter)
butter, for frying

Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add sugar and mix. Make a hollow in the middle and pour eggs, milk and melted butter into the hollow. Stir everything together until you have a smooth dough. Let your dough rest for about 30 minutes.

In a frying pan, heat a bit of butter. With a soup ladle, pour small portions of dough into the pan and bake. Your pancakes are ready to flip when small air bubbles begin to form on top of the dough. Each side takes about a minute.

I served the pancakes with a cherry compote for which I used 500g pitted cherries, a splash of water, a bit of sugar and half a vanilla pod.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails