Friday, February 01, 2013

Lentil Salad with Carrot and Zucchini

Last Friday, Miriam and I spontaneously went to have dinner at Tibits after work. That made me remember that I have this lovely book on my shelf which I have not used one single time so far. I flipped through it last weekend and decided to cook my own version of this salad. Good possibility to use up some of the lentils I got in stock. This salad would make a nice addition to a summer picnic... maybe the unexpectedly mild temperatures we got in Zurich right now are making me think about summer already...




Recipe
(slightly adapted from: Tibits at Home)

200g green lentils
2 carrots
2 zucchini

for the dressing:
60g dried tomatoes
20g ginger, freshly grated
6 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
salt and pepper
(the original recipe also suggests 2 tablespoons tikka currypaste and 1 tablespoon chili oil)

I added some roughly chopped coriander for serving

Cook your lentils according to the instructions on the packing. I had to soak mine in cold water for 1-2 hours and let them cook for about 30 minutes in enough salted water. While the lentils are cooking, chop the carrots into dices of about 1cm and add when the lentils are almost done so that the carrots cook for about 2-5 minutes. Then, drain and rinse with cold water. The recipe suggests to also cut the zucchini into 1cm dices and to add them to the salad uncooked. I, however, roasted them gently in olive oil in a large frying pan for about 10 minutes until slightly soft because I like that better.

For the dressing, chop the dried tomatoes and mix with all the other ingredients. Mix the lentils and the veggies with the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Add some herbs if you like. You can eat this salad warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails