Monday, May 09, 2011

Apple and Courgette Cake

I'm in love. His name is Nigel Slater. He's a writer... of cookbooks. But seriously, I think his recipe instructions sound like poetry. Even the title of the book: Tender. I read aloud from Tender: Volume II to my friends this weekend because I'm so fond of it. But of course, most of all, I'm a fan of the cakes. I want to bake almost every cake from this book! I've tried 3 already and they were all unbelievably good! Here comes the latest... sounds unspectacular, but it actually is fantastic! The courgette keeps the cake moist for days... it even tastes better after about 2 days.




Recipe:
(Source: Tender: Volume II by Nigel Slater, I copied it from HERE)

200g butter
200g caster sugar
2 eggs
150g courgettes (about 2 small ones)
1 small apple
200g plain flour
a large pinch salt
½ tsp baking powder
pinch cinnamon
60g pecans
80g sultanas


Preheat oven at 180C. Butter and line the base of a loaf tin measuring 20cm x 12cm x 9cm deep. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs and mix them in, one at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Coarsely grate the courgettes and the apple. Squeeze them with your hands to remove any excess moisture, then add to the mixture. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon, and gently fold into the mixture. Stir in the nuts and fruit. Transfer to the lined loaf tin and bake for about an hour, or until golden and firm to the touch. Allow to cool in the tin before turning out.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails