Monday, March 28, 2011

Deluxe Chocolate Cake with Cranberries

When I recently spent another evening browsing through my beloved cookbooks, I noticed that I have never tried a single recipe from one of my absolute favourite cookbooks - Warm Bread and Honey Cake... time to change that! I was invited for dinner last week and my task, as ususal, dessert :-) This recipe caught my attention because of the addidtion of walnuts and cranberries. I really like this cake! It's something inbetween cake and brownie... and cranberries in a chocolate cake are something else for a change.



Recipe:
(Source: Warm Bread and Honey Cake by Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra)

150g plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
125g butter, softened
125g caster sugar
2 eggs, lighly beaten with
1 tsp vanilla extract
35g cocoa powder, dissolved in
100ml boiling water
50g dried cranberries, finely chopped
50g walnuts, finely chopped
50g dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces

Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line a cake tin with parchment paper.

Sift flour with baking powder and salt and set aside. In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Then, add the beaten eggs in two steps, beating well after each addition. Add the flour in two batches as well. Then, add the cocoa paste and mix well. Add cranberries, walnuts and chocolate and mix only until all is just combined.

Pour the mixture into your baking tin. The recipe actually calls for a 20cm square tin and says to bake the cake for 25-30 minutes. I used a cake tin and baked it for about 45 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails